Getting Started with SMS Requesting
To enable sending review requests and microsurvey campaigns via SMS, we assign a unique toll-free phone number to your account called a 10DLC number (10-digit long code: 123-555-1234). Once associated with your account, it must be verified and registered with all major US-based cellular carriers before it can be used to send customer requests.
Why do I need to verify this phone number?
US- and Canada-based businesses that want to leverage a 10DLC phone number to message consumers must have this number registered & verified by all major US cellular carriers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile).
Failure to complete this verification requirement can result in issues with message delivery rates or outright blockages from the carriers, rendering you unable to solicit reviews or feedback. Carriers are facilitating this verification process to comply with regulatory requirements and take measures to combat spam and abuse of SMS messaging to consumers.
How do I complete this verification process?
We make this process easy and take care of it for you. All you have to do is provide us with basic information about your business and your intended use case for sending SMS messages via your account’s 10DLC number.
- General business information: Website, address, point of contact
Consumer Consent: You must be able to prove consumers can opt into receiving SMS messages from you
- This must be proven both in writing and by providing an example of the opt-in flow (e.g., screenshot, link to web form)
- See below for an example of acceptable opt-in language
- Message content: Messages must comply with carrier guidelines, most notably the requirement to add opt-out language. Our default message content in SMS templates fulfills this requirement
Message volume limits: You must abide by volume limits set by the carriers to avoid sending messages considered spammy
- Most customers are well within these constraints. 10DLC phone numbers can support sending up to 100 messages per minute of throughput
- Use case: Generally, your use case will be very limited, scoped to simply requesting reviews or survey feedback from consumers
Example: Acceptable Opt-In
Here is an example of the type of consumer opt-in flow the carriers seek. The form below is the Kiosk Page that is available in your account.
To access your account’s Kiosk Link, click on the Ways to Ask tab inside the Ask Tool. From there, select a location. Click Copy Kiosk Link
All correspondence will be with ReviewTrackers (not a cell carrier) via email from our Support Desk.
- Fill out this form (please click here) - the form is also available in-app (see below). This will generate a support ticket with our Customer Support team.
- All fields are required. Be as complete and detailed as possible to avoid processing delays.
- Upon receipt of your info, we’ll process the verification request with all major carriers. Once we receive confirmation your request is pending, we can enable SMS requests on your account on a limited basis.
- It will generally take 24-48 hours of submission for the request to be pending approval.
- Limited basis means that while completing verification, you may send SMS campaigns but at a lower volume (less than 2,000 messages per day, or 6,000 per week)
- When the carriers approve the request, it will be marked as fully verified and removed from the pending state. At this point, you will receive confirmation of the verification from ReviewTrackers and can now safely increase your message volume if desired.
Accessing the verification form in-app
- Click the Compose tab inside the Ask Tool
- Select SMS as the Format
- If your account phone number is unverified, you will be unable to send SMS requests to recipients (see image below)
- Click the Enable SMS button to launch a pop-up message informing you of the verification process.
- Clicking View SMS Form will open the form in a new tab
- Fill out the required fields, submit the form, and we will contact you shortly
The above verification requirements pertain only to businesses based in the United States or Canada, whose primary customer base is also located within those countries. For customers based outside of the US or Canada, there may be unique SMS messaging regulatory requirements depending on the country you are located in. Please get in touch with your Customer Success Manager to get started sending international SMS messages.
If you have any additional questions, please contact our team at email@example.com.